‘We won’t be scared’: Bacha Khan University reopens 25 days after attack

bku.openCHARSADDA: Bacha Khan University (BKU) in Charsadda, which was closed in the aftermath of a militant attack on Jan 20 which killed at least 21 students, reopened on Monday after it was given security clearance.

Vice-chancellor Fazal Rahim Marwat received students as they entered the campus amid tight security.

“We are satisfied with the security arrangements at the campus,” he said, speaking to the media.

The first day of resumption of academic activities aims to relieve students of the “psychological trauma they underwent”, Marwat said, adding that special lectures would be delivered in this regard.

BKU spokesperson Saeed Khan said security arrangements for studies to resume at varsity are “complete”. However, watchtowers are yet to be installed.

Khan said the watchtowers will be installed at a distance of 100 metres at the campus.

“We will not be cowered [by terror threats] … we will continue to learn,” said an MSc student, who arrived at the campus for classes on Monday.

The varsity administration had decided a week after the attack that academic activities on campus will not commence until provision of adequate security was ensured.

The spokesperson earlier on Friday said the university’s security committee, after a thorough review, cleared the varsity for resumption of academic activities. But students and staff would not use university transport, he said at the time.

Charsadda District Police Officer Sohail Khan also said security clearance had been given to BKU, adding that eight policemen will be stationed on the university premises and a mobile van will be deployed outside.

Four female university employees would be tasked with keeping an eye on female students, he said.

University’s director administration Dr Shakil earlier told Dawn that the university’s administration had made foolproof security arrangements, adding that CCTV cameras had been installed, boundary wall raised to the required height and number of security guards increased from 54 to 84. He said that recruitment of 30 more guards was underway.

On Feb 1, spokesman Saeed Khan had announced that the varsity administration rejected the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government’s inquiry report on the attack, which had called for removal of the university’s vice chancellor and security in-charge, adding that the institution will remain closed until provision of adequate security. -Dawn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*