KABUL: At least 235 civilians were rescued from Taliban and Daesh captivity today afternoon, who had been trapped in Mirza-Olang village of Sayad district of Sar-e-Pol province, after it fall to the militants Saturday, officials said.
The villagers, mostly children, women and elderly people, who spent four days under militants’ captivity were released with the mediation of local elders, today afternoon, provincial governor Spokesman, Zabiullah Amani said.
“The villagers who suffered lots of pain at the hands of the militants, talking of the cruelty beyond than what we had been informed of” he said.
The village captured by the Taliban on Saturday after two days of heavy fighting in which both sides, government forces and militants, suffered casualties.
Taliban in the attack to break through the defense line of the security forces were also supported by local Daesh loyalists as well.
The militants after capturing the village killed more than 50 villagers including women and children, while taking more than 150 families in captivity for the past four days, according to local officials.
Government forces, who apparently waited for reinforcement yet to launch counter attack.
According to local officials, central government after four days today sent ground and air force, who today evening arrived in the province to push the militants back from the fallen village.
However Taliban had rejected civilians’ massacre and said only 28 pro-government fighters had been killed in face to face battle and no more people were harmed after they took the village.
By Mohammad Sadiq Yousufi, Kabul